Friday, August 5, 2011

JOY!

Since I started at my new placement in March a common question is asked of me from my friends, my supervisor, my formation panel, and staff at the college....."What brings you joy?"

I have found it hard to answer that question because I feel I'm surrounded by new people, new ways of doing things, new ways of communication, new understandings of structure and leadership. Sometimes finding joy has been the last thing from my mind as I've juggled my way through the newness each week. This doesn't mean I haven't been happy but joy wouldn't have been a word I would have used a lot in the past few months.

Recently as I reflected on what brought me joy in my placement I replied "Communion". In the words and actions used to bring my church community together through Holy Communion I have had a sense of peace and joy. I was a little surprised I answered this way but it was an honest answer; Communion brings me joy in both the giving and receiving. This doesn't mean I have found a comfort level, I am still in transition, but I can honestly say I feel joy in Communion.

Today was a turning point for me. Today, I felt the bubbles of excitement and joy as I spent time thinking about the future plans of the church and some of the things that are already beginning to take shape. It was as though an old friend had come to visit and I could feel the excitement continue to build. Today I experienced joy: joy in having the privilege of leading such a supportive group of people, joy for what is happening in my church and joy for the future possibilities that are being dreamed.

I thank God for joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment