Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Leading Through Transition

I have a certain way I like to travel to and from work which I think is the most time efficient way. In the short amount of time I have travelled this road it has become familiar and comfortable to me. Just recently the local council has started roadworks on one of the major roads I take. I know in my head that these road works will improve the road. A smoother road may mean a slightly quicker time for me to travel to and from work. I know I will enjoy the road once the roadworks are complete. So, I would say that I'm in favour of the roadworks. I see the goal and the vision and I can appreciate the change that a new, smoother road will bring. However, we haven't arrived at the change stage yet. We are in transition. I've decided I like change but I really don't enjoy transition. During this time of transition I have to drive very slowly on a very bumpy road. I have to take detours. I can't predict how long it's going to take me to get to and from work. I see the police who discipline drivers who aren't sticking to the speed limit and it makes me check my speedometer several times and I feel a little anxious at times. I don't know how long the roadworks are going to take and I feel very much out of control of the situation. Can you see why I don't like transition? You can plan change but you can't plan transition!

Leading through transition was the theme of our leaders night recently. I read Jeff Manion's book "The Land Between" and found there was much to be said for the Israelites who were wanting change, wanting to leave Egypt and reach the goal of the Promised Land but instead found themselves wandering the desert, for much longer than they anticipated, in a time of transition.

Obviously in our lives we go through many transitions. Change of work, school, family situations, places to live, you can add plenty to that list. Currently our family is going through all those transitions as well as transitioning to a new church and the church is transitioning to new leadership. I suppose the bad news is, we will always be in transition. Our lives are never static, there is always change in our lives whether something small or something major. The good news is we have a choice on how we respond to change and how we respond to transition.

Change is strategic, in that you plan for change, you can write out the steps, you can get your team on board, you have a goal. Transition is emotional, there's a lot of unknown, you aren't in control, it takes time and trust. As a response to transition we can choose to fight it and harden our hearts or we can choose to trust in transition and find moments of joy and encourage others also going through the transition. Transition is hard and grumbling and complaining is often an easy option, sometimes you need to be intentional on finding joy and to be encouraging in times of transition.

In churches we need to be working together as a team through transition. This way everyone can support and encourage each other. Transition is rough but it's also a time where we can be formed and grow if we trust God. It's where we can be shaped for the next step that God has planned for us. It's much harder to do this if we spend the transition time grumbling instead of trusting God.

I think there are some things we can do to help the time of transition move easier.
- We need to trust others/trust leadership/be trustworthy.
- We need be open and honest in our discussions - People will know if we are genuine and sincere with them.
- We need to have good communication with our team - Explain what's happening and keep people in the loop.
- Listen to people without waiting to jump in with a "Yes but...."
- Acknowledge the past - The past isn't erased because of change, it's still part of your history and there is grief with letting go of the past.
- Show respect to people who are leading the change. Also show respect to those who are finding it hard in transition.
- Let go of control - trust God - Don't put a time frame on transition.
- Have patience - patience with God, patience with others, patience with getting to the goal.
- Keep heading in the right direction - Transition can be a time where people forget the goal and start to wander. Don't lose focus in transition.
- Confront problems - Transition is emotional so leaving problems instead of dealing with them will cause more problems - Deal with problems quickly.
- Choose your reaction - you can choose to fight transition or choose to grow through transition. You have a choice.

So whatever transition you may be in at the moment I hope that you are able to see joy, be encouraged and encourage others and trust God!

No comments:

Post a Comment