Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Women in Leadership in the Church

As I mentioned in my previous post, I have recently started my first placement as an ordained minister in an Evangelical, Uniting Church, in Australia. Although women Ministers are not unusual in the Uniting Church, I am finding it very hard to find blogs or articles written about leadership for women who are Lead Pastors.(Particularly from an Evangelical perspective) I can find plenty of blogs for Pastors wives or women in ministry or women leading women's ministry but I'm finding it difficult to find anything from women who are Lead Pastors, leading a church and other paid Pastors.

If I want to read how the bible says women shouldn't be Lead Pastors, I have plenty of resources. If I want to read how women and men shouldn't work together unsupervised incase women cause men to sin then I know where to look. If I want to read how to be a good wife or mother or friend, I can find some very insightful blogs on those topics.

Where are the books, blogs and articles from women who are Lead Pastors? Who are the women who write about leadership? These are genuine questions :-)

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy reading Hybels and Maxwell and Stanley. I enjoy attending the Global leadership Summit yearly. Locally we have some fantastic male leadership who have supported and encouraged me and other women in leadership. I also saw Nancy Beach when she was in Australia and read her book as well as Susan Scott's "fierce leadership". (Just a sample of the books I have crammed between ministry, study and family) I am not short of reading material.

If you know a woman who blogs or writes from a leadership perspective I'd love to hear about them :-)

2 comments:

  1. Great blog. Last year I compiled a list of women writing on mission. It might not be quite what you are looking for but for what it's worth ..

    Cameron, Helen, Resourcing Mission, SCM Press, 2010.

    Dean, Kendra Creasy, Practicing Passion. Youth and the Quest for a Passionate church, Eerdmans, 2004

    Drane, Olive, Spirituality to Go: rituals and reflections for everyday living, DLT, 2006.

    Heath, Elaine, The Mystic Way of Evangelism. A Contemplative Vision for Christian Outreach, Baker Academic, 2008.

    Emergent Manifesto of Hope, Baker, 2007, has chapters by seven women authors, including Heather Kirk-Davidoff, Nanette Sawyer, Carla Barnhill, Sherry and Geoff Maddock, Sally Morgenthaler, Karen E. Sloan, Deborah and Ken Loyd.

    Jamieson, Alan, Jenny McIntosh, Adrienne Thompson, Church Leavers: Faith Journeys Five Years on, SPCK, 2006.

    Morisey, Ann, Journeying Out: A New Approach to Christian Mission, Geoffrey Chapman, 2004.

    Morisey, Ann, Bothered and Bewildered: Enacting Hope in Troubled Times, Continuum, 2009.

    Morisey, Ann, Beyond the Good Samaritan, Geoffrey Chapman, 2003.

    Murray, Stuart and Anne Wilkinson-Hayes, Hope from the Margins: New Ways of Being Church, Grove Books, 2000

    Nash, Sally, Jo Pimlott and Paul Nash, Skills for Collaborative Ministry, SPCK, 2008.

    Richards, Anne, Sense Making Faith. Body, Spirit, Journey, Churches Together in Britain and Ireland, 2007.

    Sheir-Jones, Angela, Pioneer Ministry and Fresh Expressions of Church, SPCK Publishing, 2009

    Shroyer, Danielle, The Boundary-Breaking God: An Unfolding Story of Hope and Promise, Jossey-Bass, 2009.

    Sawyer, Nanette, Hospitality the Sacred Art: Discovering the Hidden Spiritual Power of Invitation and Welcome, Skylight Paths Publishing, 2007.

    Tickle, Phyllis, The Great Emergence: How Christianity is Changing and Why: How Christianity Is Changing and Why, Baker Books, 2008.

    steve taylor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Steve. I've heard of some of these before and there are some new ones, I will put them on my reading list!

    ReplyDelete